Friday, August 29, 2008

Disappearing Network Connections - XP Pro

I was working on my laptop and poof! all of my network adapters and network connections suddenly disappear. VPN adapter, USB to Ethernet adapter (docking station), NIC, Wi-fi, all Deterministic Network Enhancers, etc. Gone.

I do the classic warm and cold restart. No change.

I try to "create" a network connection. No option.

Follow Window's suggestion: uninstall driver, allow PnP to detect device, and reinstall. Can't uninstall drivers due to the system 'needing them to start up' (no they don't - a VPN software adapter to start? Never.)

I do a Windows XP repair installation. The only change is that I can now uninstall the driver, but the reinstall process proclaims a driver INF problem.

I download new drivers from Dell. Run through installation. "Problem installing new drivers." Right.

Search for this peculiar error on forums. Find that there is an MSDN article on the needed steps to have networking in XP. Go through various services (find that some are stopped), start them. No change. Article suggests to verify that "Simple TCP/IP Services" are installed in Windows Components. They are not. Try to install. Error.

I search the forums. Similar issue. Try sfc /scannow. Try an "Upgrade" Installation of XP. No change.

Alas, I had to reformat the entire drive. Per the forums, this is caused by a virus. Ironically, this disappearance of the connectivity occured while the AV was scanning.....

Forum posting here: http://forums.devshed.com/windows-help-34/network-card-won-t-install-due-to-internal-error-505183-2.html

No comments: